Antarctic

Antarctic station O’higgins Live Cam, Antarctica

by on Jul.19, 2016, under Antarctic, Cams

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...


The Antarctic Peninsula is the northernmost part of mainland Antarctica. Extends about 1300 km in length. Only 1000 km from the Peninsula, the Drake passage is the island of Tierra del Fuego. On the Antarctic Peninsula, there are numerous research stations.

Base General Bernardo O’higgins Antarctic station, named after Bernardo O’higgins is constantly working Chilean research station.

The base was established on 18 February 1948 by the Chilean Antarctic expedition, and is one of the long-running Antarctic bases. In winter, the population base is 16 people, the peak of abundance occurs in summer, usually 44 people, although the database can accommodate up to 60 people.

Leave a Comment more...

Antarctic station Palmer Live Cam, Antarctica

by on Jul.19, 2016, under Antarctic, Cams

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...

The station is named after Nathaniel Palmer, the first American who saw Antarctica. The maximum number of staff of 46 people, but it is usually 40 people in the summer and 15-20 people in the winter. Scientific laboratory located in the building of the laboratory, in addition, there is a pier and a helipad.

A mile to the North-West is the “Old station Palmer”, next to the English “Base N”, built in the mid-50s, This place is known now as the Isle of Amsler. “Old station” was built in 1965, three years before the opening keynote, and was used by the builders of the “New station” and later as a backup shelter for the staff of the New station, but this possibility has never been involved in the 1990s. years old station was dismantled in the framework of the environmental program for the removal of garbage from the Antarctic.

Most of the research conducted by marine biologists. In addition, there is equipment for continuous monitoring of seismic and atmospheric phenomena. The radio keeps track of lightning in the Western hemisphere.

Near the station there is a colony of penguins, including Adelie, which are inhabited mainly in the summer, but a small number of penguins can be be in colonies all year round. Also near the station there are various rookeries of seals, including sea elephant, sea leopard, seal-crab. The sea near the station is visited by whales and humpback whales.

The station is served by ice-class vessel RV Laurence M. Gould performing marine research in the Antarctic Peninsula area. Near the station there is a 762-metre ice runway.

Leave a Comment more...

New Zealand’s Antarctic research station of Scott base Live Cam, Antarctica

by on Jul.19, 2016, under Antarctic, Cams

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...


Scott bays (eng. Scott Base — new Zealand’s year-round Antarctic research station located on Ross island, in the vicinity of the volcano mount Erebus, in the territory of Ross. The station is located 3 km from McMurdo station (USA) and 1353 km from the South pole. Is under the control of the new Zealand Antarctic Institute New Zealand Antarctic Institute). Received its name in honor of perpetuating the memory of Robert Scott, the British Explorer and traveler, who performed two expeditions to Antarctica. The observations are made on agrometeorologia, Geophysics, glaciology, Oceanology and biology. Serves as the basis for routing research in adjacent regions of Antarctica.

The decision to build their own Antarctic station to maintain the international TRANS-Antarctic expedition in the framework of scientific programs of the International geophysical year was adopted by the government of New Zealand in 1956 . The construction of the station began in January 1957 and 20 January of the same year took place the official opening of the station. At the time of the creation station was a complex of six buildings connected by covered walkways. In 1962 the station was moved to a year-round operation. In 1976 — 1977 years the station has undergone a major renovation and part of the original buildings were replaced by new ones. In 2005 the station was built the largest in its history, the building size of 1800 m2. Currently, the station is able year-round to host up to 15 people, and in the summer to provide accommodation for up to 85 people. The maximum number of people at the station in January 1999, 112, and minimum during the winter 2000 — 9. During its existence the station was visited by about 10,000 people.

The station is equipped to conduct meteorologicheskikh, geophysical, glaciological, Oceanographic and biological observations and research. Base is also actively used as the route of the international research centre for the surrounding areas.

The station is equipped with a runway, a permanent road connects it to McMurdo station (McMurdo Station).
In 2010 built wind elektrostantsia with a capacity of about 1 MW of electricity per hour.

Leave a Comment more...

Page 2 of 41234