Serbia

Nis Live Cam, Serbia – Street Dusan

by on Sep.02, 2016, under Cams, Serbia

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...

Nis (Niš) – Serbia’s third largest city – has long been considered a gateway between East and West. And now, in most cases it attracts tourists as a convenient location for transit lodging while traveling, for example, Greece or Bulgaria. Therefore, for a detailed acquaintance with the city, as a rule, do not have the time, at the best available travel there one day.

In walking distance from the city center, on the right bank of the river Nišava, Nis Fortress is. It was built by the Turks in the XVIII century, on the ruins of the fortress of the Roman era. Thick walls 8 meters high and average about three meters wide stretch for more than two kilometers.

On the site of the modern Nis in ancient times there was a city Naisse (Naissus), the birthplace of Constantine the Great, the Roman Emperor. During his reign (306-337), he built himself a luxurious residence in his hometown. Up to the present day preserved Roman villa with peristyle, baths, barn and a water tower. The residence was richly decorated on the walls remains of colored marbles and frescoes, on the floor – a luxurious mosaic.

Leave a Comment more...

Belgrade Live Cam, Serbia – Slavija Square

by on Sep.02, 2016, under Cams, Serbia

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...

Slavija Square is located in Belgrade, capital of Serbia, between the streets of King Milan, Belgrade, Makkenzievoy, Svetosavskoy, Deligradskoy and Nemaninoy streets, Boulevard Liberation. It is one of the city’s main landmarks and a large transport interchange.

Until the 1880s, this area is the only lake in which the inhabitants of Belgrade were hunting wild ducks. Square Education began from the moment when the Scot Francis Mackenzie purchased the land for resale to its parts. At the same time he built his house on Slavia, and later in 1910 became the Socialist Centre, a meeting place for the labor movement. The name “Slavia” given to the chief architect. After the Second World War there was the eponymous movie theater until its demolition in 1991.

Other buildings smaller, on the corner of King Milan, which used to be a cafe “Three Selyakov” and “Rudnichanin” were destroyed before and during the Second World War. Hotel “Slavija” was built in the period of 1882-1888 years. The new hotel “Slavia” was built in 1962 and later expanded. For some time, the area was named Dimitri Tutsovicha, an outstanding leader of the socialist movement in Serbia. In the center of the square stands a monument to him.

Leave a Comment more...

Belgrade Live Cam, Serbia – Republic Square

by on Sep.02, 2016, under Cams, Serbia

GD Star Rating
loading...
GD Star Rating
loading...

Republic Square – one of the main squares in Belgrade, Serbia’s capital city, located in the municipality of Stari Grad.

The area is located in the northwest of the Assembly next to the southern extremity of the street of Prince Michael and occupies the space between the restaurant «Gradska Kafana», a cinema «Jadran», the National Theatre and the Concert Hall of the Serbian Army.

Modern area arose after demolition Istanbul Gate in 1866 and the construction of the National Theatre in 1869. The gate was built by Austria-Hungary at the beginning of the XVIII century, and stood between the place where now there is a statue of Prince Michael and the theater. Sami gates were surrounded by a moat and is so called because the road leading through them in Istanbul (Constantinople).

Before the gates of the Turks executed the guilty subjects, “Ryan”, spitted them on a stake. In 1806 this place was mortally wounded by one of the commanders of the First Serbian Uprising, Vasa Charapich. In his memory named a street near the square.

After the establishment of Serbian rule and the destruction of the gate, the theater building was the only large building for over 30 years. The area gradually grew to the point where in 1882 a monument was erected to Prince Michael.

Most of the buildings were lost during the German bombing of April 6, 1941. After World War II the square was removed tram tracks and memorable burial of soldiers of the Red Army, who died in 1944 during the liberation of Belgrade, it was moved to the cemetery Liberators of Belgrade. Later, the tallest building was built – “House of the Press.”

Leave a Comment more...

Page 1 of 3123